Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette

Hello world! It's been a while since I posted but here's a review of the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. 
 The palette costs $27US/$32CDN and can be bought at your local Sephora.
 There are 6 shades in the palette: Venus, Foxy, W.O.S., Naked 2, Faint and Crave.
 Venus: "Soft, Off-White Demi Matte"This is the only eyeshadow in the palette that isn't matte. Urban Decay said it is a "demi-matte" shade and it definitely isn't matte. The shade is more like a white shimmer and makes this eyeshadow BEAUTIFUL for highlighting your brow bone, inner tear duct or even the top of your cheekbones (if you don't have a separate highlighter for that). The shimmer is very fine and creates a subtle glow when applied but because there still is slight sparkle, there's a little bit of sparkle fall out. The eyeshadow is creamy and not too pigmented that the highlight is extremely bright.
Foxy: "Cream Bisque Matte" This eyeshadow is more of a yellow-toned neutral. It could be used as an all over lid color for those with more yellow skin tone or be a transitional color for fair skinned ladies. If darker or tanned skin tones used it, it could be used to create a glow that makes your eyes pop just a little bit more (as long as you don't try to pack on the yellow tones). Like Venus, the eyeshadow is very creamy and silky to the touch but once blended into my skin, I can't see it anymore (perfect match for my skin tone).
W.O.S. (Walk of Shame): "Very Light Nude Matte" This is a peach-pink based neutral eyeshadow. Both Foxy and W.O.S. would be great eyeshadows for a "no makeup makeup" look because they could easily cover up any veins or discolorations on your eyelid but not add anything too "unnatural". It's one of those shades that work in a subtle way and aren't necessarily noticeable but are great for blending! It also has a nice creamy and silky texture.
Naked 2: "Taupe Matte" This is when the palette becomes useful for blending or creating a smokey eye. Naked 2 is a neutral toned transitional color great for putting in your crease for subtle definition on those "no makeup makeup" days. It's a light brown shade with neutral to slightly warm tones. It's an easy colour to blend with and has good creaminess but not crazy pigmentation like all the other shades so far. I wouldn't necessarily call shade this taupe though...
Faint: "Warm Dusty Brown Matte" Faint is like a "milk chocolate brown" color to me. It is great for slowly adding definition when attempting a smokey eye or just blending in general.
Crave: "Deepest, Darkest Brown/Black Matte" I wouldn't call this shade brown because it is definitely black. It looks black in the pan and it looks black when you apply it. Crave is a pure black shade and is crazy pigmented. Unlike the other shades in this palette, Crave has a bit of a chalky pigment and does not apply as smoothly as the other shadows but can still be blended out.
Overall, the palette is nice but I'm not sure if its necessarily worth my money. You're getting 6 eyeshadows for $27 (I bought it for 27 on the 15% off Sephora Beauty Insider sale) which equals $4.50 per shadow. Surely that's a good thing right? But if you look at the pictures, the eyeshadows are practically untouched. I don't use this palette much and I find that not all the colors appear on my skin (I'm not a huge fan of subtle sometimes) so this palette is still iffy with me. Also, this palette has a certain smell! If you go on makeupalley or some other website, people often describe the smell as "dog pee" but HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT DOG PEE SMELLS LIKE? Honestly, it's not a pleasant scent and that turns me off from the palette but the smell is also one of those factors that if you concentrate on it, the smell just becomes more disgusting and repelling so I'm trying not to focus on it when I use these shadows...

Pigmentation: 3.5/5
Texture: 4.5/5
Overall: 4/5 (ignoring the smell)

xoxo, Michelle

P.S. Sorry if this post lacks my usual hyper-ness, I just haven't been in the mood lately (dealing with some boy crap) and I thought I should post something and stop being a bad blogger... I did get a new camera though so 1. these photos are much more high quality even though the background sucks and 2. I can film videos! I don't know if I will be filming video reviews/tutorials since I'm still such a noob to makeup but we'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise